PENNSYLVANIA SCHOOL IMMUNIZATION REQUIREMENTS
Updated May 2017
Children in all grades K-12 need the following immunizations upon enrollment, PRIOR to the student's first day of attendance:
- 4 doses of tetanus, diphtheria, and acellular pertussis* (one dose on/after 4th birthday)
- 4 doses of polio (4th dose on/after 4th birthday and at least 6 months after previous dose given)**
- 2 doses of measles, mumps, rubella***
- 3 doses of hepatitis B
- 2 doses of varicella (chickenpox) or evidence of immunity
* Usually given as DTP or DTaP or if medically advisable, DT or Td
** A fourth dose is not necessary if the third dose was administered at age 4 years
or older and at least 6 months after the previous dose
*** Usually given as MMR
7th Grade Additional Requirements needed PRIOR to the first day of school:
- 1 dose meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV)
- 1 dose of tetanus, diphtheria, acellular pertussis (Tdap)
12th Grade Requirements needed PRIOR to the first day of school:
- 1 dose meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV) that has been given after the age of 16 years.
The only exemptions to the school laws for immunizations are:
- Medical reasons
- Religious beliefs
- Philosophical/strong moral or ethical conviction
If your child is exempt from immunizations, he or she may be removed from school during an outbreak of a vaccine preventable disease.
Pennsylvania school immunization requirements can be found on the PA Department of Health website under the 28PA Code Ch. 23 school immunizations or at www.cdc.gov/vaccines or by contacting Erie County Department of Health at 814-451-6700.